Palestinians in Gaza City on Wednesday mourned the deaths of senior Hamas military commander Mohammed Awda, his wife, and two of his children after an Israeli airstrike targeted a residential apartment in the al-Rimal neighborhood late Tuesday evening.
The Israeli military confirmed on Wednesday that it had killed Awda in what it described as a carefully coordinated operation in northern Gaza. According to an Israeli army statement, Awda had recently assumed leadership of Hamas's military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, following the killing of his predecessor, Azz-al-deen al-Haddad, earlier this month.
Israeli officials claimed that Awda also headed Hamas's intelligence apparatus and was among the final senior commanders allegedly involved in planning the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel. The military stated that the strike followed "months of intelligence monitoring" and targeted buildings in Gaza City that it alleged were being used as operational hideouts.
Deadly Strike in Crowded Market Area
Witnesses and medical sources said the Israeli strike hit the upper three floors of the al-Kayali residential building in central Gaza City, one of the busiest commercial areas in the enclave. The attack occurred while streets were crowded with shoppers preparing for Eid al-Adha.
At least three Palestinians were killed immediately, while dozens more were wounded. Local residents reported that at least five missiles struck the building almost simultaneously. A nearby apartment reportedly linked to another Hamas operative was also targeted in a secondary strike.
Israel Publishes List of Assassinated Hamas Leaders
On Wednesday, the Israeli military released a list of Hamas commanders it says have been assassinated since the beginning of the Gaza war in October 2023.
The list included prominent figures such as Mohammed Deif, Yahya Sinwar, Marwan Issa, Ahmed al-Ghandour, Mohammed Sinwar, and several other senior military commanders. Of the 16 names published, Israeli authorities said 15 had been killed.
The only surviving figure on the list was identified as Imad Aql.
Continued Violence Despite Ceasefire
Although a ceasefire officially came into effect in October 2025, violence in Gaza has continued almost daily. According to Gaza's Ministry of Health, more than 910 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes since the ceasefire began.
Israel currently maintains control over approximately 60 percent of Gaza, including all major border crossings and access points, while most of the population remains concentrated along a narrow coastal strip.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz reiterated on Wednesday that Israel remains committed to preventing Hamas from ruling Gaza "either militarily or civilly."
U.S.-Backed "Peace Council" Preparing Gaza Visit
Meanwhile, Israel's public broadcaster reported Wednesday evening that representatives of the newly established international "Peace Council," reportedly created under the leadership of U.S. President Donald Trump, are preparing to enter Gaza in the coming days.
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).




