Lebanese authorities have reported a chemical attack on February 1 carried out by Israeli aircraft over southern Lebanon, targeting forested and agricultural areas near the border. The attack caused environmental, health, and security concerns.
The laboratory analysis confirmed Israel had used glyphosate. The Netherlands, Belgium and France have banned its household use. Germany forbids the use of glyphosate in public spaces.
This development follows similar incidents reported in southern Syria, particularly in the Quneitra governorate, where Syrian authorities said Israeli aircraft sprayed chemical on three occasions last week.
On Nov 26, 2025, the Jerusalem Post reported that Qatar and Ireland had demanded that the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) investigate Israel's use of chemical weapons in Gaza.
Glyphosate poses risks such as skin/eye irritation, nausea, and potential long-term health effects including cancer and neurotoxicity.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies glyphosate as a Group 2A "probable" human carcinogen, with associations to Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, with studies suggesting potential links to kidney disease, liver inflammation, and developmental/reproductive issues.
Lebanese Government Response
Lebanon's Ministry of Environment confirmed it received reports from the border town of Aita al-Shaab and surrounding areas indicating that Israeli planes were conducting aerial spraying of chemicals.
Environment Minister Dr. Tamara El-Zein contacted Lebanese Army Commander General Rodolphe Haykal, requested soil and vegetation samples from the affected areas for laboratory analysis.
Minister El-Zein stated that Israel had during the most recent war used white phosphorus and incendiary munitions that burned nearly 9,000 hectares of Lebanese land. She characterized these acts as "environmental destruction" aimed at undermining the resilience of southern communities and their ability to sustain livelihoods.
UNIFIL Raises Alarm
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) said the Israeli army informed it early Sunday of planned aerial activity involving the release of what Israel described as a "non-toxic chemical substance" near the Blue Line. UNIFIL was instructed to remain indoors and away from the area, forcing the cancellation of more than 10 field operations.
UNIFIL reported that peacekeepers were unable to operate along nearly one-third of the Blue Line for over nine hours and only resumed activities later in the day. The mission confirmed it assisted the Lebanese Armed Forces in collecting samples for toxicity testing.
In a strongly worded statement, UNIFIL described the activity as "unacceptable" and a clear violation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, warning that it may have endangered the health of peacekeepers and civilians alike. The mission also expressed concern over the long-term impact of chemicals on agricultural land and the return of displaced civilians.
"This is not the first time Israeli forces have dropped chemical substances over Lebanese territory," UNIFIL added, reiterating its call on Israel to halt all such activities and cooperate to maintain stability along the border.
Israeli Claims and Media Reports
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).




